Saturday, July 01, 2006



For your interest....

Here's an email conversation I had with Dunni during this past week which I thought you may enjoy. It began with me 'knocking on the door' and dropping a line to say 'hello'. around the 12th of last month.:



Hi Lydia,

I was quite touched to read your mail. Time and distance really do not affect the affection we share for one another. Thanks for the concern. I hadn't been surfing because of power outages. You cannot imagine how frequent and how long they last.

I certainly find the energy quite helpful for my energy level has been on the upswing. I know it could not be attributed to my solo efforts. I always look forward to Sundays when I know I'll be receiving energy share from like minded people across the globe.

It's been nice knowing you. I consider a good friend. We may, someday, meet face to face. Remain blest.

Namaste

Dunni



Aloha Dunni,

Ah yes, power outages! I grew up with scheduled power outages and water shortages in Palau, in order to meet the demands of supply in the country. Every night the water would get shut off at 10pm, then turned back on at 6am. Sometimes the same would be scheduled with the power being on in certain cities while being off in others.

And the usual typhoons and monsoon seasons. Guam only gets the power and water outages whenever there is a major typhoon, and that happens pretty frequently (hence, my reason for not living there!). The first year that I moved back there after college we had 7 major typhoons within 2 months! Try experiencing Katrina every year. Whew!

Anyhow, it's great to hear from you. Please say 'hello' to Austin for me as well. Haven't heard from him in awhile, presumably being busy with work and other activities.

See you on the share!

a hui hou,

Lydia



Hi Lydia,

It is heartening to know we share some common experiences - outages.

Many a time have I wondered when we will overcome the challenges. I have tried to find solace in the mystical statement that nothing happens by chance and that everything happens for ultimate good. My limited perception has prevented me from perceiving the inherent good. Would you have some insights to share?

Dunni



Aloha Dunni,

Well, do you know of the phrase 'when life gives you lemons, make lemonade'? I suppose this really goes to the heart of the matter in how to be happy in the face of difficulty and pain. How to transform such situations into sweet, beautiful, and inspirational ones.

It happens that when we are faced with such circumstances that we feel powerless and we cannot control what is taking place or accept them easily or quickly. And realizing that, while you cannot control what is outside of you, you can control what is inside of you.

When faced with a painful situation, I turn to nature for inspiration. When a pebble falls in a pond, the ripples eventually fade out and once again the pond is still and quiet. I look to the mountains and trees outside my apartment, and slow down, get quiet, be still and let any feelings of anger, sadness and anxiety pass through me. I find that I can feel a shift within that is more expanded, more connected, and more powerful. A voice speaks or an image flashes in my mind when I'm seeking an answer or feeling bad. While not always simple and easy to do, I know there is always the opportunity to change my perspective and feelings from negative to positive ones and ultimately change the circumstances outside of me.

When we had scheduled power outages (which usually occured at night), we'd find ways to keep us occupied and have fun in the meantime. After dinner, we'd sit outside on bamboo benches in front of the house, look up at the moon and sing songs while my dad played guitar. Sometimes we'd go to neighbors' houses and play with the kids in the village. If it was raining or there was a typhoon, we'd light candles and play music - my dad playing guitar, me playing flute or piano, and my sister and mom singing along, or my sister and I would draw pictures, I'd write stories or sew something. Everyone knew that the outage, typhoon, or other village crisis would pass and we'd all come together to help each other and share what we had.

Some of my best and happiest memories were of those times, because they brought our family, friends, and villages together.

Believe that there is always good in something. You will find it and it will find you. And if you are happy with what you get, happiness will come to you.

with love, light, and lotsa hugs, my friend.

Lydia



Hi Lydia,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences. I have drawn some positive inspiration therefrom. Your conclusion is quite moving.

Thanks dear friend

Dunni



Aloha Dunni,

It's interesting that the last statement in my email was sort of a culmination of my recollections and some reading I had done over the past few days about manifesting abundance. And so the statement just wrote itself as I was typing. A simple truth and testament to my life.

I suppose that statement also suggests that you can see the positive in more clear and simple terms when you adopt a child's vision of the world.

Namaste,

Lydia

p.s. thanx for sending back the hint.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts