Friday, June 09, 2017

My Big Sister Joy


One of my former hula sisters, Joy Labez, sadly passed away last year.  I've always thought of her as an older sister I never had and grateful that she was a light in my life.  I'm also grateful that she was part of a larger circle of older sisters, both in the halau and for me...

Joy sent these pics to me in 2006 of the halau's performance at the National Museum of the American Indian concert on Friday, May 19th. The musicians from left to right are: Calvin "Gabby" Gabonia, Kumu Hula (hula master) Manu Ikaika, and Josh, Gabby's son.  Gabby and Josh have gone on to join another halau.

 Joy (in the blue mu'umu'u above) was dancing 'Hi'ilawe', my #1 all-time favorite hula. Written by Sam Li'a Kalainaina, Sr., this song is about a love affair at Hi'ilawe which is the highest waterfall in Hawai'i and Waio'ulu, two waterfalls in Waipi'o Valley on the Big Island. 

The group photo below is 'Hukilau' in which the audience participates in dancing the motions of the traditional fishing and eating at a luau.

In the middle photo, dressed in burgundy and wearing shell leis, Joy was dancing Mai Wakinekona (Call to Washington). 



And in the lower pic (dressed in black), she's dancing 'Pua Lililehua' (The Lililehua Blossom).  At the bottom is 'Ka Makani Kaili Aloha'.

If anyone with Halau Ho'omau sees an error and I've misidentified the pics, please let me know. 

Aloha pumehana e Hau'oli


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts