Are You an Optimist or a Pessimist?
Be Happy, Live Longer
Do you see the glass as half-full or half-empty? Your answer could affect not only your attitude, but also your health, success, and longevity. Here are some of the factors that contribute to optimists’ good health, according to the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.
• Optimists are more likely to be proactive than pessimists.
• Pessimists are more likely to develop negative responses to problems or issues.
• Pessimists are more likely to suffer from depression.
• Optimists are more likely to practice preventative health measures.
• Optimists generally view obstacles as temporary challenges that motivate them to take action, while pessimists view the same setbacks as hopeless, permanent problems.
It is possible to improve your outlook. Learn to how to find the silver lining...
How to Seize the Day
It’s never too late to change your outlook. Use these five tips to transform your negative thought patterns into positive ones.
1. Try alternative thinking. Create multiple solutions for a problem, then work to fix it.
2. Compare and contrast. It may sound unkind, but comparing yourself to others in worse situations can lift your spirits and make you appreciate your life.
3. Relax, relax, relax. Try exercise, yoga, and even smiling to lighten your mood.
4. Write about it. Write about your issues, then reason through your less optimistic thoughts until you have a more realistic vision of what has happened and what will happen.
5. Put your mind to it. Remember The Little Engine That Could? Let “I think I can, I think I can…” become your new mantra. That way, you’ll know that if you set your mind to something, you can do it.
Reflect More, Risk More, Do More Things That Will Live On After You're Gone
Friday, February 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
Be with those who help your being Be with those who help your being. Don't sit with indifferent people, whose breath comes...
-
This past week has been slightly chilly including rain and hail today for a what should be a normally sunny summer in the 70s. I ...
-
Modern life can feel dangerous and unstable. Removed from a sense of natural unfolding, our lives can seem precarious and chaotic...
-
One of my former hula sisters, Joy Labez, sadly passed away last year. I've always thought of her as an older sister I never had and...
No comments:
Post a Comment