Tuesday, October 03, 2017

Long and Winding Road

Hi all!

It's been a long road (15 years!) to reverse the spinal cord injury I've had which was caused by cancer treatment from a clinical trial at the National Institutes of Health. I moved 2 years ago from southern California to get treatment at the Mayo Clinic's spinal cord injury program, but things are as complicated as ever dealing with uninsured expenses for a power chair, transportation, and personal care services.

In the meantime, I've tried to make the most of it in Minnesota by visiting an awesome vintage store, the annual Todd County Fair, downtown concerts at the Veterans park, not to mention taking a few online classes on writing and painting (among other things)...

But with limited transportation (buses only run weekdays til 4pm), I'm a shut-in without a way to get out and around. The apartment building I'm living in is a secure, senior-only housing and had inaccessible entry doors. Imagine me trying to use a key to unlock the main door, pull it open, and roll myself into the building before the door closes on me...

Having said that, I always like to end on a good note...

I was nominated by the rehabilitation department at the local hospital to attend a Leadership in Ethnically Diverse Communities program, and invited to attend an annual mental health conference by a woman who is a leader in the community. I've made wonderful friends who are motivated to help me navigate the rocky road and travel along it with me....

Isn't that something?  😄

By the way, if you'd like to help me get back on my feet again, you can lookup my GoFundMe page,  checkout the Wishlist (treatment and wheelchairs), and Make a $10 Donation: 
https://www.gofundme.com/2js2gzw

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts