Friday, March 09, 2018

Maira Kalman and the 'Pursuit of Happiness'



I found Maira Kalman years ago when my stepmom sent me Maira's 'Pursuit of Happiness' blog, http://kalman.blogs.nytimes.com/.  My stepmom and I have backgrounds in dance theater and I got my bachelor's degree in theater and dance at the University of Hawaii in Manoa.  I also studied art and acrylic painting, music, and performed with the Governor of Guam's Youth Band, the University of Guam symphony, and 2 Hawaiian dance schools in Virginia - Halau Hula Mahina O Wakinekona DC and Halau Ho'omau I Ka Wai Ola O Hawai'i.

So naturally my interest was piqued when I discovered her collaboration with Mark Morris, one of my all-time favorite modern dance choreographers, and fashion designer Isaac Mizrahi, another fave.

You can sign up to follow and purchase Maira's artwork on her page, Maira Kalman, which provides visitors with up-to-date Kalman exhibition listings, over a dozen of her works, and exclusive articles.

In her biography Maira says, “People just live their lives, and that amazes me,” she explains. “They get up, put on their shoes, eat a bowl of cereal, endure wars. They go out and make sense of it everyday, and that's what I like to show.”

She transforms her impressions into pared-down vignettes full of lyricism and wit.

Take a look and let me know what you think...

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts